A superb pre 1900 bulger brassie transitional style head beautifully restored for display or could be used for play. The length is 42” (107cm).
The makers name is clearly visible stamped to the crown of the mid stained head.
The full brass plate is held in place by six brass screws. The rams horn sole insert and the large lead back weight are both securely in position. The face lines have been re cut and the scare-neck joint has been re whipped using black waxed linen thread which has then been coated with shellac for further protection.
The head measurements are:
3.75” (9.50cm) from toe to heel through the centre of the face.
2.25” (6cm) wide across the crown.
1.25” (3cm) deep face including the sole insert and brass plate.
The straight shaft retains the original light brown hide grip which is tightly bound and whipped with black thread.
D & W. Auchterlonie
Willie Auchterlonie began his club making business in 1895 with A.W. Crosthwaite but by 1897 the latter had already left the company. Willie was then joined by his younger brother David so Willie changed the name to D & W. Auchterlonie and the business prospered becoming well known as club specialists and ball makers. Willie had won the Open Championship in 1893 which helped launch his business career. Both Willie and David served time as apprentices at the Robert Forgan factory learning the art of club making. They patented a number of different clubs and also had thriving export sales to the USA. David was also a good amateur golfer and during the period of the 1st World War held the position of professional at the Carlsbad Club in Austria. By the mid 1930’s the club making business had basically finished and Willie had turned to retailing golf equipment which his son continued until his death in 1988.