This beautiful and rare alloy headed driving iron, also referred to as a medium long spoon is a fabulous collectors club especially for a Standard Golf Company enthusiast. The club measures 39.50” (100cm).
The makers name and patent number are both clearly visible stamped to the crown of the head. Very few were produced and when found are often is poor condition, whereas this particular club remains in excellent condition. Whipping as been added around the top of the hosel to strengthen the shaft as there are two small splits.
This club could still be used for play, however this would be at the owners risk.
The sole is stamped 1 ½” The Mills Driving Iron. BSD 1 ½ Model. Standard Lie. 8 ozs 6 drs.
Other details are:
The face is stamped with a cross-hatch pattern.
The length of the head is 4.25” (11cm).
The width is 1.50” (4cm).
The depth of the face is 1.25” (3cm).
The length of the hosel including the whipping is 3” (8cm).
The face loft is 26 degrees.
The standard lie is 62 degrees.
The head is connected to the shaft using a through-bore joint.
The straight shaft. The original grip has been replaced at some stage with a brown hide grip whipped with black linen thread. The makers name is also stamped to the shaft just below the grip.
Standard Golf Company
At the end of the 19th century aluminium was successfully being used for ship’s parts because of its rust proof capabilities and one man who was pioneering its use was Sir William Mills whose factory was based in the north east of England in Sunderland where ship building was a major industry. Mills was a very enterprising business man and it was not long before he found other uses for this new metal, one being golf clubs so he formed the Standard Golf Company during the early 1890’s.
He designed various types of clubs but is best remembered for his Brassies and especially his Putters. The putters really gained recognition in 1909 when James Braid, Tom Ball and Sandy Herd used Mills putters in the Open. Many designs were introduced onto the market but the two most successful were the Ray-Mills launched in 1912 having been helped with the design by Open Champion Edward ‘Ted’ Ray and the New Braid-Mills in 1915 having the James Braid connection.
One particular unique fact about Mills clubs is that each club was stamped with the weight and lie on the under part of the head and a serial number was stamped on the top of the head which was recorded at the factory. This was done so if a head was damaged an exact copy could be made. Sir William Mills died in 1932 and the company was bought by investors who relocated the factory to Birmingham were production continued until the late 1930’s.