A very nice example of this rare alloy headed wood which is equivalent to a mid Spoon or iron would make a fine addition to a Standard Golf Company’s collection. Few have been sourced making this club a very collectable item. This club is in original condition, i.e. not restored except for new whipping thread to the old hide grip. The club measures 38” (96.5cm).
The makers name and patent number are both clearly visible stamped to the crown of the head.
This club could still be used for play, however this would be at the buyers own risk due to there being a small split to the top of the hosel.
The sole is stamped: 2 The Mills BS 2 Model. Standard Lie. 9 ozs 8 drs.
Other details are:
The face is stamped with a cross-hatch pattern.
The length of the head is 4.25” (11cm).
The width is nearly 1.50” (4cm).
The depth of the face is 1” (2.5cm).
The length of the hosel including the whipping is 2.75” (7cm).
The face loft is 30 degrees.
The standard lie is 64 degrees.
The head is connected to the shaft using a through-bore joint.
The shaft is straight and retains the original brown hide grip over under-listing.
Standard Golf Company
At the end of the 19th century aluminium was successfully being used for ship’s parts because of its rust proof capabilities and one man who was pioneering its use was Sir William Mills whose factory was based in the north east of England in Sunderland where ship building was a major industry. Mills was a very enterprising business man and it was not long before he found other uses for this new metal, one being golf clubs so he formed the Standard Golf Company during the early 1890’s.
He designed various types of clubs but is best remembered for his Brassies and especially his Putters. The putters really gained recognition in 1909 when James Braid, Tom Ball and Sandy Herd used Mills putters in the Open. Many designs were introduced onto the market but the two most successful were the Ray-Mills launched in 1912 having been helped with the design by Open Champion Edward ‘Ted’ Ray and the New Braid-Mills in 1915 having the James Braid connection.
One particular unique fact about Mills clubs is that each club was stamped with the weight and lie on the under part of the head and a serial number was stamped on the top of the head which was recorded at the factory. This was done so if a head was damaged an exact copy could be made. Sir William Mills died in 1932 and the company was bought by investors who relocated the factory to Birmingham were production continued until the late 1930’s.