A superb example of this highly collectable wood by A.H. Scott who was one of the most respected club makers during the hickory era. He was honoured to be asked to make clubs for the Prince of Wales in 1901 and was appointed official club maker to the King when the Prince became George V in 1908. The length is 40.50” (103cm).
Scott patented the ‘Fork Splice’ joint in 1894, the number is still visible stamped to the crown of the ‘blonde’ persimmon head. The Prince of Wales ‘Plumes’ are also shown above his name meaning that this club was produced before 1908 when the Plumes where changed for a Crown.
This club is for DISPLAY only.
The sole is fitted with a wrap around full brass plate held in place by six metal screws. The lead back weight is secure and the socket joint has been re whipped with black waxed lined thread.
The shaft is also stamped with the maker’s name within an oval circle. The unusual brown leather grip was probably fitted around 1920 to replace the original hide grip.
Born in Earlsferry in 1875, Andrew Herd Scott started playing golf from a young age learning from the good players whom he caddied for around the Elie area. He was also fortunate to be the nephew of George Forrester, the renowned club maker with whom he served his apprenticeship before spending time with Charles Hunter at Prestwick who had succeeded Tom Morris as the professional.
Upon returning to the Elie Club, Andrew started a small club making business and it was not long before he was inventing new models. In 1894 be brought out a Driver with a four splice neck deemed to be unbreakable. Other notable models were his Invincible irons in 1896 and his Straightline Putter which he registered in 1899.
His club making skills gained him such a reputation that he was asked to make a set for the Prince of Wales in 1902 which allowed him to stamp the Plume of Feathers on his clubs and then in 1908 when King George V ascended the throne be was granted the Royal Warrant and replaced the feathers with a Crown. A great honour indeed for someone who started life as a caddy in Elie. He began using his ‘Lion over Crown’ cleekmark in 1908 and sometimes without the crown.