A rare and very collectable wood made by John Duncan Dunn who was the grandson of Willie Dunn Snr, and the nephew of Willie Dunn Jnr. The general condition is very good which leads one to think that this club has not had a lot of use. Very few of these clubs are known to exist. The length is 43” (109cm).
The bulger shaped head is stamped Dunn’s Patent. The club was supplied to John Wisden, 21 Cranbourne Street, London who were one of the leading sports outfitters during the 1890’s.
This club is offered for display only.
Besides the club being made from one piece of wood, and feature is the large black fibre face insert held in place by eight wooden plugs. The fibre sole insert is also held in place by three wooden plugs. The lead back is securely in position. A lead weight has been inserted into the sole at some stage, presumably to add swing weight to the club.
The head measurements are:
3.50” (9cm) from toe to heel through the centre of the face.
Nearly 2.25” (6cm) wide across the centre.
The face is 1.25” (3cm) deep including the sole insert.
The shaft is virtually straight and retains the thick sheepskin grip over under-listing whipped with white linen thread.
John Duncan Dunn.
Born in Scotland in 1872. Before becoming a club maker following in the family traditions he studied medicine at Edinburgh University. He started a club making business with his brother Gourlay at the Prince’s Golf Club, Mitcham, London in 1892. John visited the USA for 5 months in 1896 and in 1898 he decided to emigrate to work alongside his uncle Willie. Later he moved on to the Buffalo Country Club and finally took up a post at the Bridgeport Gun and Implement Company where he took charge of the golf department.