A superb Tom Morris scare neck long-nose putter beautifully restored and offered as a fine display club. The length is 37” (94cm).
The elegant head is simply stamped T. Morris.
The Golden Beechwood head has been re stained using the original colour. The rams horn sole insert is held in place by three wooden plugs. A new long lead back weight has been fitted due to original having been removed at some stage. The face lines have been re cut. The scare neck joint has been re whipped with white linen as used when the club was made. A coating of shellac has been added to help protect the thread. There is a small surface split just above the lead weight. Please view image 3.
The head measurements are:
5.25” (13cm) from toe to heel through the centre of the face.
Virtually 2” (5cm) wide across the crown at the widest point.
Nearly 1” (2.50cm) deep face including the sole insert.
The straight shaft has been fitted with a period hide hide grip over under-listing whipped with white linen thread.
Tom Morris, born 1821, the first icon of golf was not only an Open Champion winning four out of the first eight tournaments held, he was also a revered club maker, a Club professional at Prestwick in 1851 and later at St Andrews where he was also the green keeper with the 18th fairway later being named in his honour. We can also thank ‘Old Tom’ for designing many of the famous links courses spread throughout England and Scotland and he was named as the first honorary professional to the Royal & Ancient Golf Club.
He was also a golf ball maker serving his apprenticeship under the watchful eye of Allan Robertson who was also one of the first players to gain superstar status and they often played together as a doubles partnership. However after having a disagreement in 1851 over the introduction of the Gutty ball, Tom moved to Prestwick where he became the professional and it was during this time that he started to produce his first golf clubs. Upon returning to St Andrews around 1864 he started to take up club making more seriously and by 1870 he had opened his now famous shop situated alongside the 18th fairway of the Old Course employing three or more workers. The premises had previously been used by Robert Forgan before he moved his business nearer to the 18th green.
Tom Morris was a stalwart of the old style wooden clubs and continued to produce scare head clubs even after the introduction of the Socket head although eventually he offered both styles in order to please the modern players. He also kept producing the long nose style wooden putters in the 20th century in order to keep this style alive and nowadays collectors scramble to buy these clubs. After his death at the ripe old age of 87 in 1908 the firm continued in business and introduced the ‘Autograph’ range of woods and irons bearing his name, plus the irons have a cleek mark showing the face of Tom Morris.
One of his friends was young Tom Stewart the cleekmaker who Morris helped by both selling and using his iron heads bearing the now famous pipe cleekmark.